Hiring personal care assistants is like welcoming a new member into your family. He or she will be a very noticeable addition to your loved one’s environment. You need to feel comfortable having a home health aide take charge and be responsible for your loved one. Since the relationship between your relative and a personal care aide is so important, here are some character traits and abilities to seek out.
- Reliability –you need your home health aide to show up as scheduled so you can meet your own responsibilities. Frequent absences or not showing up at all is unacceptable.
- Excellent organization skills – your aide needs to be able to keep track of a medication schedule, meal planning, and other essential activities for your relative. Time can’t be wasted on indecision.
- Tech-savvy –a qualified aide should be able to use any devices that your loved one requires.
- Flexibility – home health aides don’t always work according to normal business hours. An aide who understands that and is willing to accommodate your needs is necessary.
- Trustworthiness –you will be trusting your personal care assistant with basically everything. You need to feel assured that he or she will not reveal confidential information or do anything that is not in the best interests of the patient.
- Exceptional communication skills –a home health aide should be articulate and able to communicate clearly with your loved one. Choose an aide who displays good active listening skills and responds appropriately.
- Proactiveness – a wise home health aide should be paying attention to any cues that your loved one is in distress and should take action before a serious problem develops.
Virginia Kares Home Care Services LLC. understands that hiring personal care assistants means opening your home and your heart to someone who will give your loved one the care and attention he or she needs and deserves. Visit our website or contact us to learn more about the home care services we provide or to schedule an appointment.