You Can Use Your Hard-earned VA Benefits to Pay for In-home Care

If you are a military veteran, you are probably already receiving your Medical Benefits Package. You know that inpatient and outpatient care as well as primary, preventative, diagnostic, and specialty services are covered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. You may also know that you are struggling to stay in your home and that you and your spouse need help to accomplish essential tasks. That help is here.

The VA is offering a tax-free benefit called Aid and Assistance. It’s designed to help you with the costs of long-term in-home care and to provide support for the spouse who cares for you.

These are the eligibility requirements:

  1. You cannot have received a Dishonorable discharge.
  2. If a surviving spouse is receiving benefits, the spouse and the veteran must have been married at the time of the veteran’s passing.
  3. You must have served at least 90 days of active duty including at least one day that was during wartime.
  4. You must need the help of a spouse or someone else to perform requisite daily activities including eating, dressing, bathing, using the bathroom, and moving about.
  5. You must be 65 years of age or older and be totally disabled according to VA standards.

These requirements specify that you must have been active for at least one day during a war. These are thetimelines:

  • World War II –From December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946. If you were active on the last day and continued to serve through July 26, 1947, that is also deemed to be WWII service and is eligible for benefits.
  • Korea – From June 27, 1950, through January 31, 1955.
  • Vietnam – From February 28, 1961, through May 7, 1975. If you are claiming service from February 28, 1961, through August 4, 1964, you must have been boots on the ground to qualify.
  • Persian Gulf – The date begins on August 2, 1990, and the end date will be declared by Presidential proclamation or law.

You gave everything to serve your country. Now it’s time for your country to serve you.Now you can use your VA benefits to pay for in-home care. Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairsto apply.

Leave a Comment

Font Resize